An unusual 19th century Indian tulwar with a sukhela or dhup style blade.
Acquired for the Triquetra Collection in 2016, purchased through an auction by Paul Laidlow.
Resources about this model
- Web article: Weapons – Tulwar Sword (Sikh Museum)
- Web article: Talwar (Peter Dekker)
- Web article: Indian Sword Blade Types (Matthew Forde)
- Web article: Kill discs on Indian blades (Matthew Forde)
- Web article: The British and the Tulwar (Matthew Forde)
- YouTube video: Tulwars! The typical Indian sword (Matt Easton)
- YouTube video: When the Indian Tulwar sword is not curved (Matt Easton)
- Forum thread: Tulwar Hilt Types (vikingsword.com)
- Forum thread: Straight bladed tulwar (vikingsword.com)
- Museum catalogue: G.N. Pant. Catalogue of Edged Arms and Armour in the Salarjung Museum, Hyderabad. Salarjung Museum, 1989.
Our thanks to the volunteers who helped with the information on this page:
- Ben Davies
- Keith Farrell
If you found this article interesting or helpful, please do send us a small donation to help with maintaining our Collection and to let us both expand it with new pieces and find better ways of sharing the Collection with the public.