An 1897 pattern British infantry officer’s sword with the VR royal cypher, and leather scabbard.
Acquired for the Triquetra Collection in 2016, purchased from a private collection.
Resources about this model
- Web article: British Infantry Officers’ Swords of the 1890s and the 1895 Infantry Sword Exercise (Matt Easton)
- Web article: Identifying British Infantry Officers’ Swords (Matthew Forde)
- YouTube video: The British 1895 & 1897 pattern infantry officer’s swords (Matt Easton)
- Similar museum example: P1897 sword and scabbard in the Auckland Museum
- Similar museum example: Pattern 1897 infantry officer’s sword in the Royal Armouries
- Reference book: Brian Robson. Swords of the British Army: The Regulation Patterns 1788 to 1914. Revised edition. Naval and Military Press and National Army Museum, 2011.
Our thanks to the volunteers who helped with the information on this page:
- Alex Roberts
- Keith Farrell
If you found this article interesting or helpful, please do send us a small donation to help with maintaining our Collection and to let us both expand it with new pieces and find better ways of sharing the Collection with the public.